Networker

Re: [Networker] volume retention question?

2011-07-05 14:34:23
Subject: Re: [Networker] volume retention question?
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2011 14:32:39 -0400
On 07/05/11 13:21, bingo wrote:
You can in fact state the retention time for the clone from the command line
(see below). This is what the books says.

You are correct. I've never used the '-y' option for the 'nsrstage' command, but I do see it now. Thanks! I've actually never tried to stage expired save sets, only ones that are browsable or recoverable, but I was making the assumption (ouch) that since staging involves cloning that I would most likely encounter the same problem if I didn't first make the affected save sets nonrecyclable using nsrmm.

So I guess I was referring only to the 'nsrmm' command itself. It doesn't allow me to affect the ssretent time directly, only the clretent which will then change the ssretent, but in the case of a recyclable save set, it will only change the ssretent (and flags) after I've changed the mode to notrecyclable, which I cannot do until I've first set the clretent to a non-expired date. So if I do neither, or if I only change the clretent then it hangs, and I see the same error messages in the daemon.raw file as you noted.

Would have been nice if they'd at least had the error show up on the console. Took me a while to even think to go check the log. Sheesh!

However, as you stated problems, i have verified the issue and in fact there is
a problem.
First with NW 7.6.1.6

This is what you will see when you run the command:

C:\>nsrmm -o recyclable -S 3591584401
Mark save set 3591584401 as recyclable? y

C:\>
C:\>nsrstage -vvv -m -b "Default Clone" -y 07/05/2020 -S 3591584401
Obtaining media database information on server 2003r2
80470:nsrstage: Following volumes are needed for cloning
80471:nsrstage:         2003r2.001 (Regular)
79631:nsrstage: Migrating the following Regular save sets (ssid/cloneid):
         3591584401
5874:nsrstage: Automatically copying save sets(s) to other volume(s)
79633:nsrstage:
Starting migration operation for Regular save sets...
6217:nsrstage:   ...from storage node: 2003r2
5767:nsrstage: NSR server 2003r2: Cloning requires two available enabled
devices.
5766:nsrstage: waiting 30 seconds then retrying
5767:nsrstage: NSR server 2003r2: Cloning requires two available enabled
devices.
5766:nsrstage: waiting 30 seconds then retrying
6220:nsrstage: nsrclone command has retried 2 times.

In fact the process hangs. The message ...

"nsrmmdbd Media DB error: Save set ssid:3588482332 cloneid:1309224608
eligibility can not be cleared, retention time must be adjusted first "

... is only stated in the daemon.raw file.

I clearly consider this a bug.

The behavior does improve with NW 7.6.2:

C:\>mminfo -avot
  volume        type   client           date     time         size ssid      fl
  lvl name
2008r2.002     file   2008r2          05.07.2011 19:04:26   54 MB 4262675484 cb
manual D:\

C:\>
C:\>nsrmm -o recyclable -S 4262675484
Mark save set 4262675484 as recyclable? y

C:\>mminfo -avot
  volume        type   client           date     time         size ssid      fl
  lvl name
2008r2.002     file   2008r2          05.07.2011 19:04:26   54 MB 4262675484 cE
manual D:\

C:\>nsrstage -m -b Test -y 07/05/2020 -S 4262675484
80470:nsrstage: Following volumes are needed for cloning
80471:nsrstage:         2008r2.002 (Regular)
Successfully deleted original clone 1309885468 of save set 4262675484 from
media database.
Completed recover space operation for volume 1262516
Refer to the NetWorker log for any failures.

C:\>mminfo -avot
  volume        type   client           date     time         size ssid      fl
  lvl name
Test.001       file   2008r2          05.07.2011 19:04:26   54 MB 4262675484 cb
manual D:\

C:\>mminfo -avot -r ssretent
05.07.2020

C:\>

Nice to hear that they fixed it. Thanks for testing this on your end and clarifying me on all this.

George

So you better update.

|This was sent by carsten_reinfeld AT avus-cr DOT de via Backup Central.

George Sinclair
Voice: (301) 713-3284 x210
- The preceding message is personal and does not reflect any official or unofficial position of the United States Department of Commerce -