Networker

[Networker] Networker behavior relabeling medium ...

2011-06-24 03:56:05
Subject: [Networker] Networker behavior relabeling medium ...
From: Thierry Faidherbe <thierry.faidherbe AT FOREM DOT BE>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2011 09:54:41 +0200
All,

More than once, we all have been faced to operators loading

write-protected tapes into library. In other cases, we may have

also voluntary loaded write-protected tapes into libs

wrongly thinking networker will not overwrite recyclable tape

to preserve its contents?

>From my experience, I think networker logic recycling/relabeling

medium is:

      Load targeted medium into drive

      Verify its label

      if (tape label is expected one)

      then

            Purge all SSID from MediaDB,

            Case

              relabel : Delete MediaDB Tape Record

              recycle : Update MediaDB Tape Record

            Write new label

            Verify it

            Case

              recycle : I update MediaDB Tape Record with tape cycle usage

      done

If the medium is write protected, label write operation will fail

but all media infos are already purged from MediaDB.

It will also result in tapes being stored in our libs but not

belonging to any pool.

Am I wrong thinking it?s time to update above logic, only purging/updating

MediaDB only if label operation succeeded ? Should not be too complex

to update code, I think.

So, if media cannot be overwritten (nor recycled nor relabeled),

networker could track volume to not be writable from its lib maps

and not looping trying to recycle same volume.

Any other ideas about ? RFE ?

Cheers

Th

Kind regards - Bien cordialement - Vriendelijke groeten,

Thierry FAIDHERBE

Backup/Storage & System Management

LE FOREM

Département des Systèmes d'Information

Direction Infrastructure

Boulevard Tirou, 104  Tel:    +32 (0)71/206730

B-6000 CHARLEROI      Mobile: +32 (477)/995319

                      Fax:    +32 (0)71/206199

BELGIUM               Mail : Thierry.faidherbe<at>forem.be