Networker

Re: [Networker] netware backup - need advice

2011-06-15 08:20:40
Subject: Re: [Networker] netware backup - need advice
From: "Nelson, Allan" <an AT CEH.AC DOT UK>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2011 13:19:34 +0100
Hi Mats
We have 3 Netware servers (Netware6.5) which we have been backing up for many
years now.
We're currently running Networker 7.6.1 and using the Netware client v7.2.1
(the last one I think!).
All our backups go directly to Data Domain (not using DDBOOST though - can't
afford it - and sadly, once the maintenance of our DD expires in about 18
months time, we'll be dropping it as it's just out of our league now - which is
a shame as I love it).

This has worked fine for us both when the Netware servers were physical and now
they're virtualised (done about 3 years ago).
Virtualisation certainly gave our servers a longer life-time in that moving to
new hardware was not an issue we had to worry about. You can argue that's a bad
thing I guess - and we are unfortunately in the process of moving to a
predominantly Windows environment, ditching e-Directory and moving to AD.  We
also backup the NDS via one of these Netware clients.  We've had very few
problems and in fact over the last 12 months at least, I can't recall a single
issue with Networker and these Netware servers.  It's been rock solid.

We also use a product called Veeam to backup our virtual servers, and I'd
recommend looking at that if you do go down the virtualisation route.  I find
EMC's offerings on this front pretty lacking at present.
Veeam has some nice capabilities.

What we do with the Netware servers and Veeam is to backup just the SYS volume
of each server (who can remember how to install Netware from scratch these days
;-) We don't backup the data volumes on that server using Veeam, as a file
level restore would be a bit of a nightmare.  This is purely to get our basic
Netware server up and going - quickly.  We can then either re-attach the other
VMDK's (Netware volumes) or do file level restores from them using Networker.
There's a bit of duplication, but not a great deal, and as we're backing up to
a DataDomain that's not an issue wrt space.

Hope this helps.

Cheeers... allan.

Allan Nelson
CCS Lancaster