Networker

[Networker] Moving a MS Cluster Resource to different physical nodes

2011-06-03 14:38:08
Subject: [Networker] Moving a MS Cluster Resource to different physical nodes
From: Michael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2011 14:36:51 -0400
(this might be a bit complicated, so please bear with me)

I have a Win 2003 cluster (Node5 and Node6). I have a virtual client
resources defined there as SQL2. So SQL2 has it's own IP address, and
appears as a whole separate client (while in reality it's mounted (i.e.,
running from) Node5 or  Node6).  Node5 and Node6 are defined as AFTD
storage nodes, so the virtual client resource SQL2 backs up to disk and
then clones to tape. All works well, and has for years. Just means I need
3 client licences (Node5, Node6, SQL2), and 2 storage node licenses(Node
5, Node6). No problem.

Now, we need to move SQL2 to new Win2008 nodes (Node3 and Node4). And
Node3 and Node4 are already clients (but not storage nodes). So what I
will need to do is:

delete Node5 and Node6 as storage nodes, then re-install Node3 and Node4
as storage nodes.
I shouldn't have to do anything with SQL2, since it will still exist as
SQL2 and still have the same IP address. And that should be all NW really
cares about (that, and whether the physical node it is actually running on
has a proper license). From NW's point of view, SQL2 is as it always has
been.

Have I missed something? It really should be as simple as deleting the 2
old storage nodes, and changing 2 other clients to storage node, and
creating 2 new AFTD devices for them to write to.

--
Michael Leone
Network Administrator, ISM