Networker

Re: [Networker] Limiting a client to one of two tape drives

2011-06-03 10:00:24
Subject: Re: [Networker] Limiting a client to one of two tape drives
From: terry.lemons AT EMC DOT COM
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2011 09:56:56 -0400
Hi

I'll admit to having not read all of the notes in this thread, so apologize if
this is not germane to the discussion.

If you have two tape drives, both set with 'target sessions' of 4, and send 10
backups to those tape drives, here's how NetWorker will allocate the backups:

Tape Drive A - 1, 2, 3, 4, 9
Tape Drive B - 5, 6, 7, 8, 10

NetWorker will allocate backups to the first tape drive until the 'target
sessions' value is reached, and will then allocate backups to the next tape
drive until its target sessions value is reached, until all target devices
usable by the target pool have reached their 'target sessions' value.  Then,
NetWorker will round-robin backups to each of the tape drives until the 'max
sessions' value for the tape drive is reached, or some other maximum (server
parallelism, etc.) is reached.

Is this helpful?

Thanks
tl