Networker

[Networker] bootstrap email

2011-05-19 21:51:28
Subject: [Networker] bootstrap email
From: tremblyj <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 19 May 2011 18:49:38 -0700
Hi, is anyone still having a problem using SMTPMAIL to customize notifications
in Networker?  I was using another email utility but it was never updated and
so does not conform with the new MAR/NOV day light savings rules.  The emails
had the wrong time and my boss found it annoying so I had to put my thinking
cap on.  <sigh>

The problem I found on the Windows side is that this program is not compatable
with every notification in the list.  SMTPMAIL requires that you TYPE a text
file and PIPE ('|') the output into it.  In order to use it properly, you need
to get your backup log and/or bootstrap listing into a text file using the
NSRLOG command-line utility that comes with Networker.  In order for NSRLOG to
work properly, you will first need to create the text file it will send the
output to.  It will not create the file for you.  (The programmer must have
felt that we can do that dammit!)

:: *********Email-Bootstrap.cmd ********
::
:: ** Create a new empty text file by echoing a blank line re-directed.
(Remember that >> appends...)
echo. > bootstrap.log
::
:: ** Re-direct the bootstrap listing to a text file using the Networker NSRLOG
utility.
D:\Progra~1\Legato\nsr\bin\nsrlog -f "bootstrap.log"
::
:: ** Email the bootstrap listing.
type "C:\nsrlog\bootstrap.log" | "D:\Program Files\Legato\nsr\bin\smtpmail.exe"
-s "Backup Server Bootstrap Listing" -h relay.your.domain.suffix -p 25 -f
"[email protected]" "email distribution list"  <-- [this last
one can be replaced with an environment variable containing a semi-colon
separated list of email addresses within double-quotes (i.e:
ReportRecipientsGroup="email1;email2;email3").  Then use
%ReportRecipientsGroup% in the command string.]
Replace [nsrlpr -P "print queue name"] with [c:\path\Email-Bootstrap.cmd].
(You can also add a line to the script to LPR it to the printer as well, using
the built-in Windows LPR command-line utility.)
I also use this method with the Savegroup completion notification to email the
backup logs while retaining a copy of them in dated text files.
: )