Networker

Re: [Networker] 45M iNode FS backup?

2011-05-10 15:10:57
Subject: Re: [Networker] 45M iNode FS backup?
From: Brian Narkinsky <bnarkinsky AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 10 May 2011 15:09:52 -0400
This was from a thread back in 2006.  I've used this method several
places and it works well.   Works on UNIX OSes as well.

I think somebody posted a method to get all the directories in a file
system.

If I remember correctly they had two client instances.

One had all the directories explicitly stated

E:\dir
E:\dir2
E:\dirx

The second client instance had the saveset ALL but, had a directive to
skip the directories that were explicitly spelled out in the first
client.

This allowed you to spilt the filesystem into streams but also not miss
any new directories.

Another option might be to specify the save set as \\.\physicaldiskx

There was and exchange between me and somebody (Thierry I think) a year
or two ago about this.  There are some serious problems with doing this
when Restore time comes.

You can only do fulls since you are basically dumping the file system.
You can only restore the whole disk back to the same drive letter no
restoring one or two files etc.

This will allow you to kind of do a dump of the NTFS partition.  When I
tried it was very fast.  IT is sort of a poor man's SnapImage.

Brian