Networker

[Networker] Tape-to-tape copy?

2011-05-09 16:34:01
Subject: [Networker] Tape-to-tape copy?
From: ldugarte <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 9 May 2011 13:33:12 -0700
<<And if I can, can one new tape hold multiple tape copies? That is, can
do a tape-to-tape copy of an old tape from 2005-09 onto a new blank
tape,
and then add the contents of 2006-02 onto the new tape that has 2005-09
on
it, or is the tape-to-tape copy similar to an image copy? i.e., nothing
else can be added to the new tape? >

Yes, you can use nsrclone to make a clone of a saveset (and you can
change browse and retention time) and store it in a volume, then you
can use the same volume to store another different clone. Networker
don't let you save multiple instances of a same saveset clone in one
volume.

OK! So if I do

nsrclone -v -b "Special Request" -S 1230201028/1280562506

NW should load the original tape with the saveset specified above, and
clone it onto a tape that is the new backup clone pool I created called
"Special Request". Yes?

And I can repeat the above, listing specific savesets, and nothing will
change for the original savesets (i.e., retention/browse times)? I don't
care about the retention/browse for the cloned copy, as that's going
offsite to fulfill a legal request.

Thanks

Correct. Only as a suggestion... yo can do an script that find the ssid that
you need to clone and save all the savesets in a file, then you can use this
file as a parameter with nsrclone yo clone all savesets at same time.

Hope it help