Networker

Re: [Networker] renaming renamed client back to original name- will it work

2011-05-05 18:07:57
Subject: Re: [Networker] renaming renamed client back to original name- will it work
From: jee <jee AT ERESMAS DOT NET>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 5 May 2011 23:07:24 +0100
Hi Steven,

the current name of the client is not important for the recovery if the client
was  renamed properly.te

If you suspect that the client was not cleany renamed, then it would be better
to rename it to some third clientname and avpid the original and the current
one.

Renaming a client is simple. You need to
- take note of the ClientId
- check that the savesets of the client  are linked to the right ClientID
(use mminfo to check client-clientID correspondence)
- delete all the instances of the current client from the NW configuration
- add a fictitious but valid IP-hostname entry to the /etc/hosts on the NW
server
- stop NW
- rename the index directory to something different (e.g. "A")
- start NW
- create the new client using the fictitious hostname and the original
ClientID. don't let NW create a new Client ID.
- stop NW
- delete the new client index directory
- rename the index directory "A" to the fictitious name (now the current
client name)
- start NW

If the renaming was done properly, then the current status should be:
- The savesets are linked to the ClientID (as they always did-- this is
harcoded and cannot be changed)
-  both CFI and ClientID are linked to the current client name.

Check the savesets with mminfo using, first,  the ClientID, then the current
clientname and compare both outputs. On the report include clientid, ssflags,
sumflags, nsavetime and client on both reports ). The output will print
nsavetime and clientname i that order. This way you can easily copy both to
write an nsrinfo command like:

# nsrinfo -t nsavetime current_clientname

which should list  the files of savesets that are flagged as browsable.

If everything is ok, then you can rename the client backup to the old name.

jee