Networker

Re: [Networker] Upgrading server OS and NW version at the same time, re-using same hardware and server name

2011-04-19 14:43:29
Subject: Re: [Networker] Upgrading server OS and NW version at the same time, re-using same hardware and server name
From: Michael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 14:42:23 -0400
> > So if we re-do the OS, and I install 64bit NW (hopefully NW 7.6 SP2,
if it
> > comes out within the next couple weeks),
>
> The DR procedure assumes you're going to install exactly the same
version
> of NetWorker, but you're also talking about changing versions and the
ABI
> at the same time.  That's not generally advised during a DR.  If you're
> very, very comfortable with NetWorker and the DR procedure you can
> probably pull it off.

But why, I wonder? The mmrecov recovers just the mm database, right, and
not anything else (i.e., no program binaries or installed programs)? And
the ABI shouldn't have any effect on the data in a database, right? It's
the programs that need to read the schema, etc, and know what the fields
are, and what not. That's why I can't just do a "regular" D/R, since I
would be overwriting 64bit with 32bit, which would be BAD.

Or does mmrecov do something more than just overwrite the mm database on
disk with the one from the tape?

> The big question you need to answer is whether there are any database
> format changes (especially the media database) between 7.5.x and 7.6.x.

I guess we'll find out in a couple weeks, when 7.6 SP2 is officially
released. :-) But if so, EMC will have to provide a utility to convert the
data on installation. And if I have to install 7.5.2 first, do the D/R,
then run a 7.6.2 upgrade, that shouldn't be too big a deal. I'd like to
avoid that step, but whatever. :-)