Networker

Re: [Networker] Does Networker rely on MS SQL for its database?

2011-04-04 10:28:23
Subject: Re: [Networker] Does Networker rely on MS SQL for its database?
From: Michael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2011 10:27:37 -0400
> Bet him a raise over it...

Ah, I think not, even though I *know* I would win. :-)

> If you remove it and nothing bad happens for
> 30 days, you get a raise!,

And fired if not? :-) I try to avoid "well, uninstall it, and see what
breaks" ...

> otherwise ask him what 'evidence' he has that
> Networker Server 'requires' any third party database ???

His thinking is that NW uses *some* kind of database. And perhaps when
installing it on Windows, it installs a runtime version of MS SQL. On
Linux, a different one, etc.

> FYI - Networker is developed and maintained on a Solaris platform, not a
> Microsoft platform... So MS-SQL has absolutely nothing to do with
> Networker Server other than it's just another 'application' to be backed
> up as far as Networker is concerned...
>
> He's probably thinking of Backup-Exec, which does use embedded MS-SQL to
> keep track of its backup jobs and other statistics...  Whatever the
> other software was that depended on the database, it should have removed
> that dependent database when it was un-installed...

What if it removed SQL, and there was some other app on the server that
needed SQL? Then things would really be broken. So I can understand the
other app not uninstalling SQL (by default; it should prompt you to also
uninstall SQL when the app uninstalls. Removed the specific database, yes.

Thanks for the confirmation