Networker

Re: [Networker] HELP! Deleted AFTD volume and need to re-mount it

2011-03-16 20:46:14
Subject: Re: [Networker] HELP! Deleted AFTD volume and need to re-mount it
From: "Small, Joshua" <joshua.small AT CITI DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2011 11:44:12 +1100
I've done this in *nix environments a few times, and also use it as a way of
moving data between datazones.
It's pretty straight forward providing you still have the Y:\aftd directory and
it's contents on disk.

Just create a new AFTD device pointing to the same directory, then run scanner
on it. Scanning a disk device is very quick and painless.
Don't try to mount or label the AFTD when you re-add it though.
If you are worried about accidentally destroying the contents of your aftd,
just copy the entire folder to another location, and use that as the aftd
target directory - the contents aren't linked to the physical path, all the
volume/pool/id details are in the volhdr file so it's quite portable.

You don't need the new AFTD device to have the same resource id/name as the old
one or anything, just think of it as a tape drive.
You can mount a given volume in any available tape drive, not just the drive
that labeled that tape.

The one caveat to this is that the AFTD structure is not really portable
between platforms, you can't mount a windows created AFTD on a *nix storage
node without some fiddling.

Regards,
Josh