Networker

[Networker] Savesets being deleted -- how to catch it???

2011-03-03 11:57:40
Subject: [Networker] Savesets being deleted -- how to catch it???
From: Francis Swasey <Frank.Swasey AT UVM DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2011 11:56:45 -0500
We have a customer group (Oracle DBA's) who refuse to let the NetWorker server
run their
backups.  They have scripts that perform the Oracle backups then run a save
command from the
scripts to send the backups into NetWorker.

For the past two days, I've been trying to help them track down how they are
getting deleted.
The first day, I set up a cron job that used mminfo and verified the existence
of the saveset
every hour.  The saveset that had been written at 6am with a browse time of 1
year and a
retention of 7 years disappeared between 2pm and 3pm.  The second day, I
checked every two
minutes between 2pm and 3pm and the saveset that had been written that morning
was deleted
between 2:34pm and 2:36pm.

Now, I was running a tcpdump during this time catching all traffic to the ports
that nsrexecd
was listening to on the NetWorker server (assuming that whatever client is
doing this delete
would be talking to nsrexecd to do it).  I found a single one of their machines
that was
talking during the whole time -- but the DBA's are insistent there was no
script that was
running in that two minute window that "should" have deleted the saveset.

Is there a way that I can get NetWorker to log when a saveset is deleted?  I'm
assuming that
some script somewhere is running an nsrmm command (Thus, the NMC logging is not
going to help
me here).  Is there any other command that could be run that would delete a
saveset?

The server is running 7.5.3.4 on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 (64-bit) -- if that
makes any
difference in the answer.  The client I think is guilty is running AIX 5.3 and
NetWorker 7.3.3.

Thanks,