Networker

Re: [Networker] long term retention of data and old hardware

2011-02-22 15:31:41
Subject: Re: [Networker] long term retention of data and old hardware
From: terry.lemons AT EMC DOT COM
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2011 15:30:40 -0500
IMHO, archiving should focus less on a technology and more on a process.  I
don't think there is any media (magnetic tape media, photographic negatives, to
name a few) that will last indefinitely and any 'player' of that media (tape
drive, projector) that will be supported/repairable indefinitely.  The best is
probably paper/papyrus.

So the only viable way to ensure information can be retrieved from archive is
to periodically migrate archived data to a new archive technology.  For
instance, it may be a good idea to migrate DAT/DDS media to LTO4/5 media now,
and plan to migrate again when LTO4/LTO5 approach end-of-life.

This takes a lot of the risk out of a particular technology choice.

tl