Networker

Re: [Networker] Jukebox Errors - DRIVE_STATUS_UNSET

2011-02-17 11:10:05
Subject: Re: [Networker] Jukebox Errors - DRIVE_STATUS_UNSET
From: Brendan Forsyth <bff AT PVHS DOT ORG>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 09:08:40 -0700
I typically used symbolic links for these devices.  That way if the name
changes you only need to update the link and not re-configure the jukebox.

Dave High wrote:
> All -
>
> First post, so take it easy on me, OK?
>
> Environment:
> NW 7.6SP1, RHEL 5.4, Fibre attached DataDomain VTL's
>
> As I run a backup and the VTL is loading/labeling/using tapes, I
> intermittently get errors similar to the following:
>
> 7224 02/16/2011 05:51:48 PM  nsrd [Jukebox `MYLIB', operation # 3541].
> read open error: there was not a device file name passed in to CDI (drive
> status is DRIVE_STATUS_UNSET)
> 7224 02/16/2011 05:51:48 PM  nsrd [Jukebox `MYLIB', operation # 3541].
> Error reading volume label: read open error: there was not a device file
> name passed in to CDI (drive status is DRIVE_STATUS_UNSET)

I have only ordinary Jukebox with tapedrives, and i got these when my
jukebox and tapedrives device paths changes.

Below is how it show up my system. I hope at this give you a hint.

It seems at your device file at RHEL /dev/tape/by-id/... or /dev/stX is
different than Networker devicet in NMC.
You should recreate Jukebox and devices again. You should select
persistent devices when cretate devices.
That means /dev/tape/by-id/ not /dev/stX. Thease /dev/stX can change
every reboot and Networker uses these paths which are Networker
confuguration. Actually Networker checks operating system devices only
one time when you create jukebox and devices.

When you re-create devices, remember all are defaults, so change jukebox
names back to original, check timers, cleaninig, mediamanagemnet etc.

For everybody who think upgrade RHEL from 5.5 to 5.6. Rhel changes
devicenames.
/dev/tape/by-id/scsi-3500308c09fb49000-nst changes
/dev/tape/by-id/scsi-3500308c09fb49000 and broke Networker configuration.

-- Riku
> These errors come from drives that have been working successfully in the
> past.  I can do a full library/storage node reset, and things seem to
> improve.  I believe the most important aspect is that this seems
> intermittant.  (which makes it difficult to troubleshoot!)
>
> Any ideas as to cause, or troubleshooting techniques, would be greatly
> appreciated.

> this list. You can access the archives at

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  The information contained in this e-mail is privileged
and confidential, and is intended only for the use of the individual or entity
named above.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that any
disclosure, copying, distribution, electronic storage or use of this
communication is prohibited.  If you received this communication in error,
please notify us immediately by e-mail, attaching the original message, and
delete the original message from your computer and any network to which your
computer is connected.