Networker

[Networker] Networker Module for Oracle errors and nsrmmdbd "metadb is saving its data"

2011-02-14 13:34:19
Subject: [Networker] Networker Module for Oracle errors and nsrmmdbd "metadb is saving its data"
From: Paul Robertson <probertson AT UNIXWAY DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2011 13:33:10 -0500
Running Networker 7.3.4 on Solaris 10 with Networker Module for Oracle 4.2
on client.

We've been using NMO and RMAN to back up our Oracle databases for several
years now, and things work fine most of the time. However, we've noticed
that about 5% of the backups fail with a cryptic RMAN error similar to the
following:

RMAN-03009: failure of backup command on ch00 channel at 12/23/2010
14:23:21
ORA-19506: failed to create sequential file, name="qfm09icm_1_1",
parms=""
ORA-27028: skgfqcre: sbtbackup returned error
ORA-19511: Error received from media manager layer, error text:
   The call to nsr_init() failed with the message:
        RPC cannot make a procedure call: Create failed: Program not
registered
 (0:5:0)

After observing the timing of these errors, we've been able to correlate
them to the (apparently) twice-daily networker nsrmmdbd media db
maintenance, as noted in the daemon.log via the following:

02/13/11 10:20:59 nsrmmdbd: media db is saving its data.  This may take a while.
02/13/11 10:23:00 nsrmmdbd: media db is open for business.
02/13/11 21:37:23 nsrmmdbd: media db is saving its data.  This may take a while.
02/13/11 21:39:25 nsrmmdbd: media db is open for business.

Although this window between "saving its data" and "open for business" is
just a few minutes, it's apparently long enough to cause problems for Oracle
RMAN and/or NMO.

Has anyone else observed this behaviour, and is there anything in NMO that
can be tuned to address this issue? Alternatively, can we control the time
of day that nsrmmdbd does this maintenance?

Cheers,

Paul