Networker

Re: [Networker] Indexes of Unusual Size

2011-02-09 17:10:59
Subject: Re: [Networker] Indexes of Unusual Size
From: Mathew Harvest <Mathew.HARVEST AT COMMUNITIES.QLD.GOV DOT AU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 08:08:48 +1000
Tom,

Your index size directly relates to
a. the number of files backed up - there are two things that will affect this
1. the rate of change of the files on the server
2. the level of backups that you run (schedule) - on a dedupe system where you
can run full level backups every day you wont backup any more or less data by
running an incremental backup, however the number of index entries will
probably (depends on point 1) be less if you run an incremental backup rather
than a full
b. how often you run backups,
c. the browse time you have set for the client

Example 1
so a client that has 10,000,000 files that you run weekly full and daily
incremental backups (with 10% of files being changed daily), and have the data
browsable for 4 weeks would have

(10,000,000 + (( 10,000,000 * 10%) * 6)) * 4    = 64,000,000 entries
 ^               ^                        ^the 4 weeks of browsability
 ^               ^the remaining 6 days worth of incrementals for the week
 ^the full backup

Example 2
so a client that has 5,000,000 files that you run daily full backups on, and
have the data browsable for 2 weeks would have

(5,000,000 * 7 ) * 2   =   70,000,000 entries
 ^                 ^the 2 weeks of browsability
 ^daily fulls for a week

the commands nsrim and nsrck are good to use if you want to verify the index
structures

nsrck -L <check-level> <client-name>

have a look at the command reference guide to determine the check level that
you want to perform (probably start out with a level 2 and see what happens -
the higher the number the longer it will take to run, and you should try and
run this during a quiet time on the backup server - at least when the client
that you are checking against isn't being backed up) - if you want to be overly
cautious, then before running either of these commands shut down networker and
take a copy of the /nsr/index and possibly the /nsr/mm directories (not sure
where there are on a windows server these days)

nsrim -c <client-name> -X

again look at the command reference guide

Mat