Networker

Re: [Networker] Error reported when recovering data?

2011-01-20 23:19:37
Subject: Re: [Networker] Error reported when recovering data?
From: Preston de Guise <enterprise.backup AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2011 15:18:42 +1100
Hi George,

On 21/01/2011, at 15:06 , George Sinclair wrote:

>> logasm isn't so much about suppressing the warning - it does that as a
>> side-effect, but it's effectively you telling NetWorker "I don't care if
>> this file changes during backup".
>
> What does NW do differently when you have that directive in place other than
> not issue the warning and maybe not record it in the stream, and/or index,
> wherein a recover would not complain like mine did?
>
> Does logasm do more than just that? It doesn't enable the log file to be more
> reliably backed up does it?

All logasm does is let NetWorker know you're not concerned about file changes.
It doesn't take out any additional locks, checks, etc. From recollection with
logasm used, recover will not produce a message about the file having changed,
though it's been a long time since I've tested and my memory may be hazy.

Cheers,

Preston.

--
Preston de Guise