Networker

Re: [Networker] VSS errors backing up Win2008 R2 clients

2010-12-08 10:22:12
Subject: Re: [Networker] VSS errors backing up Win2008 R2 clients
From: "CHAUSSOY, Matthieu" <matthieu.chaussoy AT SFR DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2010 16:19:30 +0100
For information : not verified
http://community.landesk.com/support/docs/DOC-9772

Cordialement,
Matthieu CHAUSSOY

Ingénierie Sauvegarde-Archivage
matthieu.chaussoy AT sfr DOT com

-----Message d'origine-----
De : EMC NetWorker discussion [mailto:NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU] De
la part de Michael Leone
Envoyé : mercredi 8 décembre 2010 15:53
À : NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU

NW 7.5.2, on Win2003 SP2. Clients are Win2008 R2, NW 7.5.2.

I'm seeing some errors when backing up my Win2008 R2 clients. The funny thing
is, I see the exact same error about the exact same file, on all the clients ...

* dctrads001:VSS SYSTEM FILESET:\ System Writer - Get file attributes returned
error 3 for VSS file
\\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy24\windows\system32\cba\pds.exe
* dctrads001:VSS SYSTEM FILESET:\ System Writer - Error saving file path
C:\windows\system32\cba\pds.exe that is associated with Shadow Copy path
\\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy24\windows\system32\cba\pds.exe.
* dctrads001:VSS SYSTEM FILESET:\
* dctrads001:VSS SYSTEM FILESET:\ System Writer - ERROR: Failed to save
FileGroup files, writer = System Writer
* dctrads001:VSS SYSTEM FILESET:\ System Writer - Error saving writer System
Writer
* dctrads001:VSS SYSTEM FILESET:\ System Writer - ERROR: Aborting backup of
saveset VSS SYSTEM FILESET: because of the error with writer System Writer.
* dctrads001:VSS SYSTEM FILESET:\ System Writer - Error saving
* dctrads001:VSS SYSTEM FILESET:\ /

I've read where this type of error is caused by not having a drive letter
assigned to the MS reserved partition. Unfortunately none of my servers seem to
have this special partition. I do *not* see any such partition in Disk
Management. There is only the 1 partition on the disk. The server was created
using the HP Smart Start tool. I see the same thing (lack of reserved
partition) even on my Win2008 R2 VMs, which are also exhibiting this error.
There is no reserved partition for me to assign a drive letter on any of my
Win2008 R2 clients.

Any other areas to investigate? I only see this particular error (about
pds.exe) from my Win2008 R2 clients. I do have the KB940349 VSS Rollup Hotfix
applied on the server ...

--
Michael Leone
Network Administrator, ISM