Networker

[Networker] Fwd: [Networker] Few question ..anybody has any suggestion ..

2010-12-01 16:22:41
Subject: [Networker] Fwd: [Networker] Few question ..anybody has any suggestion ..
From: Denis <denis.mail.list AT FREE DOT FR>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2010 22:21:42 +0100
----- "jee" <jee AT eresmas DOT net> a écrit :

> On Wednesday 01 December 2010 08:09:25 Denis wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > 1 - If clients are not backuped, you can check the logs. But if you
> client
> > has been taken away from the group, you must write a script which
> scans the
> > savegroup to compare with a list of clients that must be saved.
> >

> > 2 - On documentation, you will only see backward compatibily of
> supported
> > version. I work with 7.5.1 server backuping version 6.1 client with
> no
> > problem.
> >
> Not 100% true in all cases (considering all possible versions and
> platforms)
> because there will not be access to patches for the older versions
> which may
> have unexpected issues with the new ones. Don't wait for the problem
> happen because there may not be a solution.
> This being said, if the old client is a simple client, I would not
> expect
> issues, but forget about Storage Nodes and be careful with modules
> there
> might be  issues depending on the server+client versions.
>
> > 3 - #1 rule in computer science : if it works, don't touch...
> > You can consider to upgrade if you want to use some new features
> > (deduplication, encryption...) or if you experiment some bugs.
> ...or if  end of support for the installed version is reached. Also
> consider
> the applications or systems you are backing up with networker. They
> will
> become unsupported eventually, and the new versions of those
> applications may
> require an upgrade of NW.
> If you have to  touch something else you may need to touch Networker
> too.
If you're running some specific applications on an old OS version that you
cannot upgrade (for example), and since you cannot install 7.x version, you
must continue to use 6.x version, even if you have reached eosl, and even if
you have a support.

> I would not follow any advice to ignore supported versions. Support is
> a must
> if you are in business. If there is data loss EMC (or any other
> vendor) will
> not take any responsibility of unsupported environments and you will
> be
> liable for any data loss you are not able to recover. You will be on
> your
> own.
I don't agree with the technology race, like windows, where versions are coming
out every 2 years.
If a computer program works, there is no need to upgrade to a 'bloatware'
version.
NW 7.3 (and so on) is the beginning of this king of software : big home-agent
installed without consentement, client rpm (or rte for aix) size biggest than
ever...
But it is not still possible to span a saveset on an aftd device, like on
tape...

Denis