Networker

Re: [Networker] Networker Server migration from win 2000 x32 to win 2008 x64

2010-11-25 06:49:59
Subject: Re: [Networker] Networker Server migration from win 2000 x32 to win 2008 x64
From: "STANLEY R. HORWITZ" <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2010 06:47:42 -0500
You need to do some reading. First, read the NetWorker software compatibility
Guide. to see if NetWorker 7.4.4 server is supported on Windows 2008. I don't
think it is, but check the guide. You also need to consider compatibility of
your entire data zone (i.e., tape libraries, any disk devices, storage nodes,
optional NetWorker modules, etc.). You are probably better of moving to
NetWorker 7.5.3 or 7.6.1. Review the Compatibility Guide carefully and make
sure you are current with your NetWorker maintenance with EMC if you upgrade to
a newer version.

Second, read the NetWorker Disaster Recovery Guide. This will explain a lot of
the steps involved in moving your NetWorker server to a new box.

Third, read the Release Notes for the NetWorker version you end up using.

You will also definitely need to add in a new module for Exchange backups.
There are two different modules for Exchange backups, which you can discuss
when you call EMC or your preferred EMC reseller. I won't recommend which
module to use because I do not do Exchange backups via NetWorker any more.
Whichever option you use for Exchange, be sure to test the backups and restores
BEFORE your Exchange server is put into production if at all possible.

All of the documentation I mentioned is available via http://powerlink.emc.com
which is also where you will find information about Exchange backups. I warn
you not to do this migration without reading the documents I referenced,
especially the Disaster Recovery Guide. After you read those documents, you are
welcome to post any follow up questions you may have on this forum. Not reading
those documents will lead you down a path toward grief.