Networker

Re: [Networker] Stage from tape to tape

2010-10-15 16:58:31
Subject: Re: [Networker] Stage from tape to tape
From: Frank Swasey <Frank.Swasey AT UVM DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2010 16:57:26 -0400
Today at 3:32pm, George Sinclair wrote:

Since it can't actually delete the data from the source tape(s) like it could with a file type device, what happens to that affected data? How is it marked as no longer needed?

With the pointers in the media database removed, it is physically on the tape, but it is unreferenced, so it is essentially gone. You can actually find it with scanner (I think). However, having staged all the remaining valid data off the tape, the tape becomes expired and will be reused by NetWorker when needed.

We can't actually get that physical space back, so I assume it remains there on the original tape(s), and NW removes it from the media database as it would if you'd used 'nsrmm -d -S ssid/cloneid' but the new copy is still in the media database with the same ssid but a different cloneid?

You almost have it. The ssid and cloneid will both be the same, because we moved the data instead of cloning it.