Networker

Re: [Networker] Virtual tapes being marked full in networker

2010-10-08 05:31:08
Subject: Re: [Networker] Virtual tapes being marked full in networker
From: Jóhannes Karl Karlsson <johannes.karlsson AT SKYRR DOT IS>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2010 09:28:52 +0000
We had this problem about two years ago. It was difficult to hunt down the
cause.

It turned out to be a gbic in a SAN switch that was faulted. The VTL was using
that gbic. I was able to isolate the faulted gbic by disabling one gbic at a
time, and run extensive tests until we got the fault. When we did not get the
fault for 24 hours, we had disabled the faulted gbic.

You should be able to match a SCSI error in daemon.raw against an error in the
switch log, if your problem is of similar kind as we had. To get the SCSI
errors in daemon.raw your VTL tape drives need to be configured with "CDI -
SCSI commands"

Johannes