Networker

Re: [Networker] Client limit for Networker

2010-10-07 18:27:28
Subject: Re: [Networker] Client limit for Networker
From: "Albert, Eddie - JACKSONVIL FL" <eddie.albert AT BANKOFAMERICA DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2010 18:26:30 -0400
So many things are factored into what is the true client limit for a
server.

It is not a client count, but more a data capacity number. I used to
have a GREAT backup window calculator, which allowed me to factor how
much data, how much time, NIC cards, fabric, storage speed, etc, etc...
It is like a large puzzle with many edges...

I agree with others have said, I believe the current version of
networker v7.6 sp1 will perform better for you.

When you say your server is well configured and well defined, what does
that mean to you?

OS version & 32bit or 64 bit
HW processors
MEMORY
Motherboard Backplane/Databus speed
Diskspeed
Raid ???
NICs
Describe your network
Do you have a separate data and backup networks?

I have worked for years in organizations where we had 1,500+ clients per
backup server...

What is your parallelism setting at?

Now the more important question.

What is more important getting all 1,800+ clients to fit in backup
window or the speed of your restore?

If you set parallelism up very high, you can backup many more clients up
to saturation limit of your network and drives. But this is at the cost
of your restores...

If you want incredibly fast restore speed, then you set your parallelism
down to single digit and buy many more tape drives.

Ok I am getting down off my technical soap box.

Semper fidelis, /ALE

Eddie Albert ~ Former inmate @ Nimh and Network Ninja white belt only