Networker

Re: [Networker] mminfo - how to specify "NOT EQUAL TO"?

2010-10-07 16:08:15
Subject: Re: [Networker] mminfo - how to specify "NOT EQUAL TO"?
From: Preston de Guise <enterprise.backup AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2010 07:05:54 +1100
On 08/10/2010, at 06:19 , A Darren Dunham wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 07, 2010 at 02:40:33PM -0400, Michael Leone wrote:
>> I seem to be doing something wrong. I need to make a mminfo query that
>> shows all savesets on a given range of days, except for a certain group.
>> And I can't seem to construct the query correctly. I thought it would be:
>>
>> mminfo -avot -q
>> "savetime>09/25/2010,savetime<09/27/2010,!group='BOOTSTRAP'"
>

> The only place I see reference to '!' in mminfo is with regard to flags:
>
>                  When comparing flags whose values are  normally  'true'  and
>       'false',  one  may  alternatively  use  the  '[  ! ] name' syntax.  The
>       '!name' form is equivalent to 'name=false', and  'name'  by  itself  is
>       equivalent  to  'name=true'.
>
> But 'group' is a character string attribute instead of a flag, so the
> bang operator isn't appropriate.

Darren's reading of the man pages is correct. The ! operator can only be used
with flag fields. Use of it with non-flag fields cause it to be interpreted
differently to how you would expect. As I recall, as a result of an RFE I
posted in the last year or 2, the man pages were actually modified to clarify
what will happen when you use the '!' syntax against a string field, as per the
above excerpt.

Part of the RFE with EMC was to also have the "not" operator become available
for general string comparisons, etc. Unfortunately I can't at the moment locate
the RFE number I received for this - a pity, because if more people tacked
their company onto it, it would get a higher priority, I suspect. I'll do some
digging and if I can locate the number I'll submit it to the list.

Cheers,

Preston.

--
Preston de Guise