Networker

[Networker] Virtual tapes get stuck in virtual tape drives

2010-09-23 08:30:40
Subject: [Networker] Virtual tapes get stuck in virtual tape drives
From: rmumford <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2010 08:28:43 -0400
"Maybe it's just a race condition? To the OP, how many tapes tend to get
recycled and how long does it take?

Your main loop runs one 'mminfo' and then works through the list. If
the recycles take a while, it's possible that a volume is in that list,
but before the loop hits it, networker recycles it due to a backup and
starts using it.

Then that tape is in use when the loop recycle comes along?"

I think darren hit it, the procedure takes a while to run. I think all drives
get allocated and networker gets confused. If I ran this command by hand I
could put all the volumes I want to relabel on one line and we'd be done in a
minute or 2. I have not figured out how to do that - this is cygwin unix
utilities on windows....