Networker

Re: [Networker] Virtual tapes get stuck in virtual tape drives

2010-09-22 16:58:58
Subject: Re: [Networker] Virtual tapes get stuck in virtual tape drives
From: A Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2010 20:56:55 +0000
On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 04:29:08PM -0400, rmumford wrote:
> Running NW 7.5.2 with Data Domain DD880 in VTL mode. It has been
> suggested by DD that we need to relabel tapes each day via a script in
> order to keep the data stored on the DD880 trimmed down for
> replication, and I will agree thats probably a good idea. I have a
> script written that works pretty well. The problem comes in if that
> script is running against a pool when a backup kicks off that wants to
> use the same pool. Some of the relabel commands may fail, and then
> that tape may be "stuck" in that drive, and that drive can't be used
> until I can get that tape out. The only way I get the tape out is to
> go to the DD880 and export those tapes, then import them back into the
> library.

I would suggest adding some protection into the script.  Before
relabeling the volume, you might consider making the volume read-only
first.  If those succeed, it can't be used by a backup.  If it's being
used by a backup, I suspect the read-only will fail.

At that point, you can relabel and the read-only designation will
disappear.

--
Darren