Networker

[Networker] False "Tape is either disabled or in service mode" message

2010-09-22 16:16:04
Subject: [Networker] False "Tape is either disabled or in service mode" message
From: rmumford <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2010 16:14:11 -0400
Running NW 7.5.2 with Data Domain DD880 in VTL mode. When a backup with several
clients kicks off, NW may want to mount 12 or more tapes (tape sessions are set
to 1 per data domain). We get several of the red arrows with a message like
this: "Device `rd=nt2legatok4.emn.com:\\.\Tape0' is either disabled or in
service mode." These are not true as the tape drive is not disabled or in
service mode, and if you look further you'll see that the volume it is trying
to load is already mounted on another drive and may even be writing at the
time. I suspect it has something to do with sessions being set to 1, but I've
logged an SR with EMC and they have not yet suggested that. Updating the tape
drivers (this is windows 2003 for the server and win2008 for the storage nodes)
has not helped.

Is anyone else running NW with DD880 VTL, and is anyone else seeing these kinds
of messages.?

Thanks

Robert D Mumford