Networker

Re: [Networker] NSRCK -L7 question

2010-09-07 16:30:23
Subject: Re: [Networker] NSRCK -L7 question
From: Tim Mooney <Tim.Mooney AT NDSU DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2010 15:28:10 -0500
In regard to: [Networker] NSRCK -L7 question, Michael Leone said (at 2:50pm...:

So I will be needing to do a "nsrck -L7", to rebuild client indexes, that
have expired. I've never done that, so I have a couple questions:

Read the knowledgebase article esg98649.  It has important information
on using nsrck -L7 for versions of NetWorker >= 7.3.x.  It sounds like
you need to go back a ways (past browse and potentially retention), so it
might very well be relevant.

I've read that I can do a "-t nsavetime -c client", to rebuild the index
for a specific saveset.

Not exactly -- it's not specific to a particular saveset.

But what if I want to rebuild the index for a
specific client, from whatever is on the tape? For example, I have a
bootstrap tape for 2008-06-30.

If I wanted to rebuild all the indexes for
a specific client for that client for that date, do I need to do a "-t
nsavetime -c client" for each saveset? Or will "-c client" rebuild all the
indexes that are on the tape, for that client?

I have a client that has 10 savesets in each job; I'd rather not issue the
command 10 times, to rebuild the indexes for all those savesets, for a job
run on a certain date.

You don't have to.  nsrck -L7 loads a copy of an index saveset from
backup tape.  The index backup (which will either be a level=full or
level=9) includes information for all the savesets that were backed up
for the client.

I would go into more detail about the implications of level=full and
level=9, but I'm afraid I don't have time to today.  Just keep in mind
that it means that you only need to have access to two copies of your
index (the previous full and the level=9 for the date in question)
to be able to restore the index to any particular date in your backup
cycle.

Will nsrck know to only rebuild whatever client indexes are on the
currently loaded tape?

The terminology can get a little murky here and there's nothing to say
that using "rebuild" is wrong, but I generally reserve the word "rebuild"
for what happens when you use scanner.  scanner -i actually creates new
index entries in the client file index by examining the saveset and
determining what files are stored on it.

If you use nsrck -L7, I generally refer to that as "reintegrate", since
what it's doing is taking old index entries from an index backup and just
from tape with the client file index (CFI).

It's probably splitting hairs, but it can help to make it obvious what's
actually going on for some of my coworkers that don't deal with NetWorker
as much as I do.

Or will issuing just a "-c client" want to see all
the bootstrap tapes I've ever made?

Basically, I want to mount that bootstrap tape, and tell networker to
rebuild all the client indexes for "client-1" that are on that particular
tape, preferably using one command (or rebuild all indexes made for
"client-1 " on a certain date, that are on that tape).

You've used the term bootstrap here multiple times, and I'm not understanding
why.  A bootstrap saveset has a very specific meaning to NetWorker, and
in most cases you wouldn't need to ever be concerned with a bootstrap
saveset if all you're trying to do is load client file indexes.

edu