Networker

[Networker] backing up VSS SYSTEM FILESET taking a very long time

2010-09-06 08:57:48
Subject: [Networker] backing up VSS SYSTEM FILESET taking a very long time
From: mcshine <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2010 08:57:27 -0400
Using the 7.5.3 client on w2k8 R2 x64 servers worked for me, however it also
introduces another problem with authentication due to software version
compatability as I understand it (see esg83259 ) Once the authentication method
is updated works fine (unless you use the client wizard for configiuration - it
no longer works after !)

We have full and incremental level backups configured, however even when an
incr runs it results in a full backup image size. I've found the following
explanation :

For a full backup operation, specification of the VSS SYSTEM FILESET save set
or save set All  results in a full backup of the system-protected files.
However, on an incremental or level 1-9 backup of the VSS SYSTEM FILESET save
set or save set All, if any system-protected files have changed since the
specified time, all system-protected files are backed up. If no
system-protected files have changed, none will be backed up and no
corresponding save set entry is made in the server's media index.

95% percent of the time all VSS streams complete successfully, however if there
are any failures it is the System Fileset. On the cases I've investigated this
usually down to low resources on the client (RAM usually)

Unfortunately I'm still experiencing very slow throughput, more concerned about
getting the data at the moment rather than speed ... I believe the slow speed
is partially due to a large number of small files that make up part of the save
set.

Hope this helps 8-)