Networker

Re: [Networker] Labelled write protected tape

2010-09-01 07:02:12
Subject: Re: [Networker] Labelled write protected tape
From: Preston de Guise <enterprise.backup AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2010 21:01:46 +1000
Jonathan,

On 01/09/2010, at 19:07 , Jonathan Natividad wrote:

> A colleage accidentally labelled a physically write protected tape which I
> have
> loaded for a restore.  The tape now shows 0% utilised.  Scanning the tape
> will
> come up with an "fn 2 rn 0 read error More data is available" error.
>
> I tried scanner -f 3 it didn't work, neither did -f 4 -f 5 etc.
>
> Correct me if I'm wrong but it doesn't appear like a block size issue as the
> tape block size is 128k and the device maximum block size exceeds that.  I
> would
> like to believe that the data is still in there because the tape is
> physically
> write protected.

If it was physically write protected at the time it was relabelled, then
NetWorker would have deleted the old media database entry and be expecting
something different on the tape.

Likely you could delete the current volume label from the media database (i.e.,
nsrmm -d volumeName), then run a scanner command against the volume to
repopulate the original media database entries for it. That's what I've done in
the past when customers have had this issue.

Cheers,

Preston.

--
Preston de Guise