Networker

Re: [Networker] Advice on moving *and* renaming NW server - MORE

2010-08-16 11:11:02
Subject: Re: [Networker] Advice on moving *and* renaming NW server - MORE
From: Michael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2010 11:10:11 -0400
> Your plan sounds fine, but you would do well to review the NetWorker
> Disaster Recovery manual, which is available on PowerLink.

I will. In fact, last week I had to do that D/R procedure, in order to
recover my NW server as it had been 2 years ago, before I foolishly did
*not* follow that procedure when I needed to rebuild it. Although, at that
time, I called EMC, and they walked me through the procedure. So I guess I
didn't explain what had happened well enough to them ...

Anyway, I did have to do the "mmrecov" route 2 or 3 times last week, and I
know how it works. I may need to re-host my licenses, but it should all
work, as it did last week (my problems last week were because the licenses
had expired in the interval between making the bootstrap, and recovering
it last week. The actual recovery went OK, once I had a temporary enabler
code from EMC. I did had to dump the resdb at one point, but I will have
new tape libraries anyway, on the new machine, and I only have 6 clients,
if I need to re-create them).

> On 08 16, 2010, at 10:51 AM, Michael Leone wrote:
>
> > OK, I may just have made my life easier ... the boss and I think the
> > easiest thing to do is:
> >
> > 1. Remove new server from AD domain
> > 2. Rename old NW server to new server name (there's a procedure for
that
> > somewhere, I believe)
> > 3. Take final bootstrap backup with new server name.
> > 4. Remove from domain.
> > 5. Power on new hardware, and rename to desired new name, and join
domain
> > 6. Do a D/R recover ("mmrecov") of Networker, using the bootstrap made
in
> > step 3
> >
> > Have I missed anything? It's that procedure to rename the NW server
that I
> > now have to go investigate ...
> >
> > --
> > Michael Leone
> > Network Administrator, ISM
> > Philadelphia Housing Authority
> > 2500 Jackson St
> > Philadelphia, PA 19145
> > Tel:  215-684-4180
> > Cell: 215-252-0143
> > <mailto:michael.leone AT pha.phila DOT gov>
> >

> > EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU> wrote on
> > 08/16/2010 10:25:00 AM:
> >
> >> From: Michael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
> >> To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
> >> Date: 08/16/2010 10:27 AM
> >> Subject: [Networker] Advice on moving *and* renaming NW server
> >> Sent by: EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU>
> >>
> >> I have a NW 7.4.5 server, running on Win 2003.  This week I will be
> >> upgrading it to 7.5.3. Next week, this server is scheduled to be
> > replaced
> >> - all of it's information will be migrated to a new server, with a
new
> >> name (the old server name has an underscore ("_") in it, and while
> > Windows
> >> doesn't mind that, it doesn't conform to our [current] server naming
> >> practices).
> >>
> >> So, how would I best go about doing this? I can't rename the current
> >> server. So how can I restore all my media history to this new
machine,
> >> with a different name? (I only have a few clients of this Power
Edition