Networker

Re: [Networker] Future of Networker

2010-08-15 09:16:41
Subject: Re: [Networker] Future of Networker
From: Thierry FAIDHERBE <Thierry.Faidherbe AT SKYNET DOT BE>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2010 15:22:09 +0200
Dear Anu,

First of all, many thanks to offer this community an entry point
for bringing up our inputs.

You maybe know about me as author of Networker Reporting Utility Freeware
(http://users.skynet.be/networker_reporter), amply used by this
commuity's members. I am, for my part, working with (and enjoy working with)
former Legato Networker (and its Digital Equipment's DECNSR OEM
version) since version 3.x, years '94.

Since that time, I do consider 2 majors things to be missing from
media database :

1) Which drive did write SSIS chunck (being complete, head, medium
or tail part) on used media.

Since years, admins are workarounding missing info thru internal scripting.
This neglect increases difficultly when tracking medium errors, no
reliable information about used drive can be tracked back.

This has a lot of indirect consequences, preventing admins for brainy
resource management in DDS environment, keeping nsrd's main job overloaded
in unnecessary resource lookup/sharing, nor possible nor reliable resource
usage tracking resulting in exceeding resource usage from configuration
settings and longer recovery time (more medium to process for complete
SSID recovery). Last versions did workaround last one by introducing
limitative device target sessions on top of load-balancing device target
session settings.

I do not think adding media datbase a table, containing device name
and it's resource id, and linking it up with per SSID record
and per SSID used Media record(s)/index(es) to be an hard work.

2) From lot of administrator's eyes, media database is also lacking
of time clone copy operation did complete :
There are NO way at all (nor via daemon.raw, nor via GUI,...)
to track when a SSID has been cloned and/or staged.

Version 7.4 and above did change/introduce clone operation start time
but no clone opration completion time. Relying on SSID SSACCESS field
from media db (although theoretically being last SSID read/write access
operation time is not always accurate, ex up datedby a recover).

This prevents better resource usage and datazone tuning, device resources
not always used as best they can be.

Warm regards,

Thierry.

PS : Adding a vote for new auth method removal (or turning back
oldauth as default authentication method, keeping new one as an
option)