Networker

Re: [Networker] how to get empty space on tape?

2010-08-03 17:14:17
Subject: Re: [Networker] how to get empty space on tape?
From: Len Philpot <Len.Philpot AT CLECO DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2010 16:13:29 -0500
> Denis
>
> since data is written continuously on the tape, you cannot recover
> space used by a bad saveset or a date-passed saveset (retention date).
>
> The only way is to move all the data you want to keep to another
> tape (with nsrstage), then recycle the tape.

That's true but I can understand to usefulness of knowing how many GB,
etc., are still available past the end of the last saveset on a tape.
Networker's reporting of "100% used" when reaching default uncompressed
capacity isn't too useful, IMO. At best, you might have half the tape
available, at worst little if any.