Networker

[Networker] tape ready for reading, idle when trying to restore.

2010-08-02 21:55:35
Subject: [Networker] tape ready for reading, idle when trying to restore.
From: Steven Veitch <s.veitch AT QUT.EDU DOT AU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2010 11:54:06 +1000
Hi All
I have some backups that are staged from virtual tape library ( virtual tape is
disk ) to LTO3 tapes . My LTO3 library has no drives attached to the main
server ( which is server.zone1)
They are attached to storage-node2.zone1.

 When I try to restore from those LTO3 tapes (using nwrecover or recover)
networker knows which tape they are on and mounts the tape. I then get ready
for reading, idle and it stops.

If I try to restore to other hosts from a tape drive directly attached to
server.zone1 ( which is where all the indexes etc are stored) then the files
restore no problem.

I thought this was a permissions issue, because I have seen it before and when
I fixed the permissions on that occasion I could restore ok. But I have ensured
that all permissions are correct.
So then I supposed the firewall must be blocking the transfer ,so I had port
7940 opened on the remote host as 7937 -7939 are open on the host that I am
trying to restore to.

This should allow for packets from any host in the  ip address range of the
host which the LTO3 library is attached to , to come though  the firewall.

But this has not fixed the issue.

I suppose I can detach one of the drives and attach to my main server , but has
anyone else solved this problem with ready for reading, idle by changing
firewall settings. ?

Thanks
Steven Veitch |
Enterprise Systems Services | Information Technology Services