Networker

Re: [Networker] oracle savepnpc backup

2010-07-29 09:29:07
Subject: Re: [Networker] oracle savepnpc backup
From: Len Philpot <Len.Philpot AT CLECO DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2010 08:27:45 -0500
> Matthew Huff
>
> Don't use savepnpc, use rman and the Legato module for Oracle. I know
> that's probably not what you want to here, but if you invest the money
> and time to have a production Oracle database, don't skimp on the
> backup/recovery.

In the interest of balance, we've always been told (by Oracle) that cold
backups are superior to hot backups, RMan or otherwise. Of course, I
realize that not every environment can afford cold backups, but there's
nothing wrong with them, as far as we can tell (SAs nor DBAs).

We've used, and still use, savepnpc for our multiple Oracle DB servers and
it works great... That is, once we overlaid the 7.5.1 client with a
handful of 7.5.1.10 binaries to fix LGTOsc33068.  :-)