Networker

[Networker] Recovering a NW server question

2010-07-29 09:12:08
Subject: [Networker] Recovering a NW server question
From: Michael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2010 09:09:48 -0400
Some may have seen my discussions about reading a foreign bootstrap tape.
And I've decided that the best course is to recreate my old NW server, and
do a D/R recovery of it, and do the recover from that machine, rather than
scanning in 6-7 old tapes, and rebuilding indexes that way. But I notice
that the NW 7.5 Disaster Recovery Guide states to install the same version
of NW on the replacement hardware, that was on the original hardware.
Since I want to recover a tape from Dec 2007, that should be (I think) NW
7.4. I based that on the creation dates of the downloaded versions of NW I
have. However, at this point, I really don't recall if these tapes were
made on 7.3.2-Jumbo-Update1 or 7.4 (I don't recall exactly when we
upgraded to 7.4).

So my question ... if I install 7.4 (that's my best guess as to what
version we were running at time), it shouldn't be too much of an issue to
read a tape that may have been created by 7.3.2, I think. Am I correct in
my recollections that the database formats didn't change between 7.3.x and
7.4? I believe they changed between 7.4.x and 7.5.x. ,

In short, I want to install 7.4.0, and do my disaster recovery of the NW
server (and then regular file recovery), on my tapes made in Nov-Dec,
2007. Does that sound like it should work? I can remember upgrading from
7.3 to 7.4, but not when. Even if the bootstrap tap[es were made with
7.3.2, this should work. Yes?

--
Michael Leone
Network Administrator, ISM