Networker

Re: [Networker] Server consolidation and file indexes

2010-07-28 09:19:09
Subject: Re: [Networker] Server consolidation and file indexes
From: Michael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 09:17:33 -0400
EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU> wrote on
07/28/2010 08:00:51 AM:

> Is there a way to import file indexes into another server (where server
> client id's are different)?
>
> It seems fairly straightforward (although tedious) to import media using
> scanner, but I've seen no mention of importing file indexes.  This would
> seem necessary for recovering data where file indexes were required.

This is a central point I've been discussing (see the thread about reading
a "foreign" bootstrap). What I've been told is:

>Now as for the client file index, as mentioned, you cannot use nsrck -L7
if the server's client id had changed when the server was rebuilt.

So if your indexes (like mine) were done with "savegrp -O", as opposed to
being saved with the backup of the client, then you're probably out of
luck, and must use "scanner -i". (or rebuild the server that originally
made the bootstrap backup.

If, however, you save the indexes with the client backup:

>And, also as mentioned, the nsrck -L7 finds the index backup in the media
database, recovers it, and merges with the online index.  HOWEVER, the
index backup can also be looked at as just another saveset backup,
>and therefore, you can perform a saveset recovery of the index itself.
For example:  if the index saaveset for index:ADMNCRY001  is 123456789,
and it is a full backup, then you can use the following to recover
> it:

>  recover -a -S 123456789 -d /tmp/index

>This won't merge the index backup with the online backup.  But, it will
give you an index that you can use.  For example: