Networker

[Networker] Advice needed about reading a "foreign" bootstrap

2010-07-27 10:13:11
Subject: [Networker] Advice needed about reading a "foreign" bootstrap
From: wallace88 <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 10:09:14 -0400
>  MJL:
> Yes, I know. But the clientID of the current client "Old-ADMNCRY001" does
> match the clientID of the old client "ADMNCRY001". I created the current
> client "Old-ADMNCRY001" with the clientID of "ADMNCRY001" from 2 years ago.
> So the clientIDs do match.

That will help when recovering the actual data.  However when you are trying to
recover the client file index, the client id that was used to backup the client
file index has to match the client id of the NetWorker Server, not client, if
you want to use "nsrck -L7" to recover the client file index of the client.

When the client file index is backed up, the actual client that is saving this
database is the NetWorker Server.  Therefore, the client file index backups are
owned by the NetWorker Server, not the client whose data was backed up.  So the
saveset that is created is recorded in the media database as owned by the
NetWorker Server at that particular time.

> My reply:
>
> Ratz. Sad Well, that stinks. You'd think that by recovering the bootstrap for
> that one client would populate the index db only for that one client.  So
> you're saying that even doing "nsrck -L7 -c client" for *one* client,
> overwrites my *entire* current index db?? I'm not recovering the whole mm db
> with "mmrecov", nor importing the entire bootstrap with "nsrck -L7". So why
> would it replace the whole media and index db??

Just to clarify, it is mmrecov that is used to recover the bootstrap.  The
bootstrap contains the media database and the res database. It is the "nsrck
-L7" is used to recover the client file index.

When you recover the bootstrap, it will overwrite the media database with what
you recovered from backups.  The res database is put in a res.R directory.

The "nsrck -L7" does recover the client file index, and then merges what was
recovered with what was from backups.

You can specify "nsrcK -L7 client_name" if you just want to recover the index
for one client.

> I have no old hardware to use for a temporary server. What I have, is a
> storage node with that old style tape drive (SDLT) that I use for recovers.
> I'd have to delete it; rename it as the old server name; install a trial copy
> of NW; do a full D/R recovery; recover my 1 or 2 files ... then delete the
> whole thing; rename it back as it's current storage node name; and re-install
> it as a storage node in my current server ...

Sounds good.  As long as you don't touch the production NetWorker Server, then
your current environment should be unaffected.

> If I do all that, can I use NW 7.5.2 as the (temporary) server? I should get
> a 30 day grace period for activation ...

If all you are using is a stand alone tape drive to read your tapes, then you
don't need any licenses.  They can be expired and NetWorker would still allow
you to recover data.  But if you were using from, say 7.4.x, and try to recover
the bootstrap to a 7.5.x or 7.6.x server, then NetWorker will look for the
update enabler code.  Not a problem unless the that code has expired.

> Only other way I can think of .. is to do "scanner -m" on all the tapes that
> client might be on (there are about 20, from the EOM run I need), then do a
> mminfo showing which volumes and which order I need for my one client, then
> do a "scanner -i" on those specific volumes, *then* do the recovery.

I think the biggest issue is getting a catalog of what your tape volumes
contains.  After recovering the bootstrap, you will have this, which is
important cause this will then tell you everything regarding client name,
client id, volume name, volume id, pool, backup date, saveset names, etc...