Networker

Re: [Networker] Advice needed about reading a "foreign" bootstrap tape

2010-07-26 14:35:57
Subject: Re: [Networker] Advice needed about reading a "foreign" bootstrap tape
From: Venkat Tudi <venkat.tudi AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2010 14:34:18 -0400
Michael,
I will not work. Here is why.
On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 9:12 AM, Michael Leone
<Michael.Leone AT pha.phila DOT gov>wrote:

> Couple years ago, my NW server crashed and burned, totally. Had to
> re-format and reinstall. Unfortunately, I did not mmrecov from the
> existing bootstrap tape. (yes, I was an idiot, and misunderstood what I
> needed to do. But what's done is done). So I ended up re-creating all my
> clients (obviously with new clientids), and I just went forward from
> there.
>
> Now I need to recover from a tape made from before the old server
> imploded. I have a bootstrap tape made from the time period I need. I even
> have the old clientid number that I need from that old tape (I have a list
> of most of the old clientids).
>
> I've (sort of) done this sort of procedure before, by creating a new
> client with the old clientID; making bogus entries in my hosts file (so NW
> can verify the host); and running "scanner -i" on old tapes, changing
> browse and retention times; and recovering. However, in this case, I don't
> know which tapes have the info I want, so I can't run scanner. But I think
> I should be able to accomplish the same thing by reading the old bootstrap
> tape.
>
> Planned procedure:
>
> 1. create client (called "OldClient"), using the old clientid I found in
> my records.
> -- the client name in use back then is still in use, but now has a
> different clientid. So I need to choose a different name --
> 2. create bogus entries in hosts file (i.e., 10.254.254.250 - a range we
> don't use)
> -- this next is the step I am unsure of --

Scanner -im
since these are foreign Tape to NW server. Does the order matter? I am not
Sure with the New versions I have not done this with random Tapes. But in
older version of NW the order of the tapes really matters.

3. nsrck -L7 -c OldClient

> I should be using the entry I just made, called "OldClient", at this
> point, yes? This will populate all the index entries for OldClient (up
> until the time the old bootstrap was made), yes?
>
> Then
>
> mminfo -avot -c "client=OldClient,savetime>start-time,savetime<end-time"
> -r volume,ssid
>
> -- start-time being slightly before the date I need from tape, end-time
> being slightly later --
>
> Then I can change the browse and retention times of the SSID I need. And I
> can then recall the volumes I need from off-site storage, and then run a
> recover.
>
> SO ... am I missing something? Some step in the process, some key point in
> my understanding?
>
> Any advice gratefully appreciated.

The other option is build a true Disaster Site.  or Juggle back and forth
with MM database (I would not recommend this). Done this only in the LAB
once.

> --
> Michael Leone
> Network Administrator, ISM
> Philadelphia Housing Authority
> 2500 Jackson St
> Philadelphia, PA 19145
> Tel:  215-684-4180
> Cell: 215-252-0143
> <mailto:michael.leone AT pha.phila DOT gov>

> type
> this
> list. You can access the archives at

Venkat Tudi