Networker

[Networker] Advice needed about reading a "foreign" bootstrap tape

2010-07-26 09:14:11
Subject: [Networker] Advice needed about reading a "foreign" bootstrap tape
From: Michael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2010 09:12:56 -0400
Couple years ago, my NW server crashed and burned, totally. Had to
re-format and reinstall. Unfortunately, I did not mmrecov from the
existing bootstrap tape. (yes, I was an idiot, and misunderstood what I
needed to do. But what's done is done). So I ended up re-creating all my
clients (obviously with new clientids), and I just went forward from
there.

Now I need to recover from a tape made from before the old server
imploded. I have a bootstrap tape made from the time period I need. I even
have the old clientid number that I need from that old tape (I have a list
of most of the old clientids).

I've (sort of) done this sort of procedure before, by creating a new
client with the old clientID; making bogus entries in my hosts file (so NW
can verify the host); and running "scanner -i" on old tapes, changing
browse and retention times; and recovering. However, in this case, I don't
know which tapes have the info I want, so I can't run scanner. But I think
I should be able to accomplish the same thing by reading the old bootstrap
tape.

Planned procedure:

1. create client (called "OldClient"), using the old clientid I found in
my records.
-- the client name in use back then is still in use, but now has a
different clientid. So I need to choose a different name --
2. create bogus entries in hosts file (i.e., 10.254.254.250 - a range we
don't use)
-- this next is the step I am unsure of --
3. nsrck -L7 -c OldClient

I should be using the entry I just made, called "OldClient", at this
point, yes? This will populate all the index entries for OldClient (up
until the time the old bootstrap was made), yes?

Then

mminfo -avot -c "client=OldClient,savetime>start-time,savetime<end-time"
-r volume,ssid

-- start-time being slightly before the date I need from tape, end-time
being slightly later --

Then I can change the browse and retention times of the SSID I need. And I
can then recall the volumes I need from off-site storage, and then run a
recover.

SO ... am I missing something? Some step in the process, some key point in
my understanding?

Any advice gratefully appreciated.

--
Michael Leone