Networker

Re: [Networker] NetWorker update

2010-07-21 16:45:18
Subject: Re: [Networker] NetWorker update
From: Yaron Zabary <yaron AT ARISTO.TAU.AC DOT IL>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 23:41:27 +0300
  On November 2008 I sent the following:

If you need to run to run nsrck -L6, I suggest that you will do that
in parallel. I use the following script (on Solaris) to get things to
run faster:

#!/bin/sh

cd /nsr/index
CLIENTS=`du -sk * | sort -nr | awk '{print $2}'`

for client in $CLIENTS
do
echo $client
at -s -qd now<<EOB
time nsrck -L6 $client
EOB
sleep 1
done

You need to add the third line to queuedefs for the above to work. It
runs 20 jobs (on a 24 threads T1000). Since this process is CPU bound
there is no point in doing much more than your processors (say five for
your typical quad core Intel CPU).

# cat /etc/cron.d/queuedefs
a.4j1n
b.10j2n90w
d.20j4n60w

With the above I was able to check 70Gb of index which took over 22
hours in under four hours.

JKK wrote:
Hi all.

I'm planning a NetWorker update from 7.5.1 to either 7.5.2 or the new 7.5.3.

The part of the update that takes the most time is running nsrck -L6. It takes 9 hours on our 90GB index folder. That's a very long down time for our environment, if we're required to let the NetWorker system be completely idle during the nsrck -L6.

Is there a workaround so the update does not need such a long downtime? is it ok to run the nsrck -L6 after the update? or is it ok the have some backup / restores done durint the nsrck -L6 ?

-- Yaron.