Networker

Re: [Networker] Numeric backup question?

2010-07-16 11:53:12
Subject: Re: [Networker] Numeric backup question?
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2010 11:51:44 -0400
Francis Swasey wrote:
On 7/15/10 8:42 PM, George Sinclair wrote:
Kind of a goofy question, and I would never need to do this, but I'm just
curious if this is
possible.

Can you run a numeric backup, but have it start with an older date? In other
words, capture all
files since the previous lower numbered backup but only up to, say, a week ago,
and not up to
the current time?

No.

To do this will require that the OS you are backing up keeps a copy of every
version of every
file.  Otherwise, there will be files that were modified since that date and
you will either
back up the modifications that were made more recently than you want or you
will not back up
those files at all.

Excellent point! Maybe what I should have asked is if it's possible to back up only files whose *current* ctime or mtime is older than a certain date, obviously excluding any that have since changed. In other words, recovering from this, together with the previous full, would not necessarily return the saveset/file system back to the way it was as of that date/time, but minimally it would be a subset of the way it is now or possibly a superset if files have since been removed.

Doesn't sound like it's possible, and that's fine as I have no need to do it. Interesting, though, that at least one response indicated that another package they used to use could do this?

George

--
George Sinclair
Voice: (301) 713-3284 x210