Networker

[Networker] Question on savegrp command with 't' option?

2010-07-15 20:57:28
Subject: [Networker] Question on savegrp command with 't' option?
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2010 20:55:55 -0400
A few questions:

I see that the savegrp command has the '-t' option, but the man page says:

"The time to use instead of the current time for determining which level to use for this savegrp (in nsr_getdate(3) format). By default, the current time is used."

1. Do I take that to mean that if you don't supply a level using the '-l' option then it uses the level that's set for the group or client's schedule for that particular date that you supply with the '-t'? So, for example, if I had a level 3 scheduled for 07/13/10, and a level incr scheduled for 07/15/10, and I ran the command as:

savegrp -t 07/13/10 group

then it would run a level 3 for that group even though the level scheduled for today's date is an incremental?

Or does the '-t' option instead refer to a date/time, possibly in the past, wherein it would control how far forward it comes for backing up the files, e.g. the numeric question I asked in my other post (Subject: "Numeric backup question")?

2. If the '-t' option is used to determine the level, based on what's scheduled for that date, then it seems that it would make no sense to use both the '-l' and the '-t' options, right?

Whenever I use the savegrp command, I always specify the level, e.g.

savegrp -l incr group

or something like:

savegrp -l 3 group

etc.

3. I assume that this does the same thing as launching the group from NMC (or simply letting it start by itself with Autostart: Enabled) assuming, of course, that the group's schedule had that same level set for that day?

George

--
George Sinclair
Voice: (301) 713-3284 x210