Networker

[Networker] restore/recover from unlicensed NSR server

2010-07-15 07:24:19
Subject: [Networker] restore/recover from unlicensed NSR server
From: wallace88 <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2010 07:22:19 -0400
> customer has a leased NSR environment and has to return both server and
> licenses after lease period. she will only keep cartridges and meta data.
>
> will it be possible (technical and legal) to restore those data from an
> unlicensed (temporary) server, given a drive is at hand?

Technically, it is possible to recover the data from the tapes.  This is a
typical disaster recovery scenario of the NetWorker backup server.

First thing:  set the write protect tab on all your tape cartridges.

Since this meta data catalogs what was backed up on the tapes, you would
therefore have the data and the means to find it.  Then it is just a matter of
moving this meta data to another NetWorker server with the same operating
system.

When loading this meta data to the new server, the safest thing to do would be
to have that server with the same host name as the original.  Also, name
resolution has to be handled the same way.  If the original server name had the
fully qualified domain name FQDN, then the replacement should be the same FQDN.
 Otherwise you'll have a mess of client id issues that you don't need or want
to have.  For this reason, copy the following system files. In Solaris i would
recommend the following files:
/etc/hosts
/etc/nsswitch.conf
/etc/resolv.conf

Or in windows:
c:\Program Files\System32\drivers\etc\hosts
output from ifconfig/all

The licenses would still be there, but since the host id changed, you would
need to re-authorize the licenses or purchase new ones.  Or you can use a
temporary enabler codes.  From a legal point, you should purchase new ones,
since the licenses are "sold" and owned by some person/company.

If you had the replacement hardware to load and restart the NetWorker server,
then if you needed to recover data, the licenses that you may need could be
autochanger, storage node licenses and NDMP licenses (if they were used).  You
do not need any license if you are just using a tape drive.  Aside from the
licenses mentioned above, you don't need a license to recover data.  The idea
is that you still own the data, so you are allowed to recover that data.

You should document what type of hardware was used as well as settings and
configuration.  For example: type of tape drive used to read/write to the
tapes, what block size was used, and any other driver settings.

You should keep a hard copy of how NetWorker was configured, and also document
what is on the volumes.  This is so that in future you have a listing of what
data was backed up, and how the NetWorker server was configured

The following will list everything I think is critical from the media database:
mminfo -avot
mminfo -mvV
mminfo -B
mminfo -avot -r client,clientid | sort | uniq

The following will list everything from the resource (configuration) files:
nsradmin
print
quit
nsradmin -p nsrexec