Networker

Re: [Networker] Questions about mminfo, clones and 7.5.1

2010-06-21 18:20:00
Subject: Re: [Networker] Questions about mminfo, clones and 7.5.1
From: Preston de Guise <enterprise.backup AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2010 08:17:54 +1000
On 22/06/2010, at 08:06 , brerrabbit wrote:
> In some cases you can recover data from an incomplete or aborted saveset.  In
> fact Preston de Guise had a recent entry on his blog about doing that.  Also,
> consider that some folks like to have their primary copy have a certain
> retention, but the clone a different one, so that might be reason why you'd
> want to filter/search for recyclable savesets.  Not the approach I'd want to
> take, but possible if circumstances backed me into a corner...

You're probably more looking for "validcopies", an mminfo query parameter that
was introduced into NetWorker 7.6. The "validcopies" flag reports only on
complete instances of a saveset. Unfortunately it does still report 2 instances
for ADV_FILE devices, but particularly for tape/virtual tape, it works a treat
in determining what how many usable saveset copies you have. (You'll need to be
running a cumulative patch cluster build for 7.6 - the initial release had a
few oddities in reporting.)

Cheers,

Preston.

--