Networker

[Networker] Questions about mminfo, clones and 7.5.1

2010-06-21 18:08:47
Subject: [Networker] Questions about mminfo, clones and 7.5.1
From: brerrabbit <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2010 18:06:25 -0400
lphilpot wrote:

> > brerrabbit
> >
> > Have you looked at the "copies" field in mminfo?
> >

> Yes - It says "The number of copies (instances or clones) of the save set,
> all with the same save time and save set identifier."
>
> I guess what I find curious is that it appears (unless I'm being stupid)
> to count even failed, recyclable clones as valid copies. Or am I missing
> something? I would think that an aborted clone should not be counted at an
> "instance" - I mean, what good is it?
>
> Thanks.

Well, you're def NOT being stupid, I'd agree that it would be ... err ...
unusual to care about that, but I can imagine a few scenarios....

In some cases you can recover data from an incomplete or aborted saveset.  In
fact Preston de Guise had a recent entry on his blog about doing that.  Also,
consider that some folks like to have their primary copy have a certain
retention, but the clone a different one, so that might be reason why you'd
want to filter/search for recyclable savesets.  Not the approach I'd want to
take, but possible if circumstances backed me into a corner...

--brerrabbit