Networker

[Networker] Best Method to backup 3.8T Home Folder with Networker?

2010-06-15 15:16:44
Subject: [Networker] Best Method to backup 3.8T Home Folder with Networker?
From: eudonj <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2010 15:14:18 -0400
Hello,
I have recently inherited a Networker 7.5.1 enviroment with a 3.8T 3600 user
home folder that recides on an NS480 with a fiber attached L700 (7drives LTO3
,500 slots) Tape Library to use to back it up. The problem is that no matter
how my team has tried to back it up, it takes 30+ hours. I am wondering if
anyone else out there has a simular config that might be willing to save us
some brain damage of retrying every method under the sun, currently we have
3600(1 per user) savesets running NDMP, which is not great but we atleast get
some sucess.  My other teammembers state that trying to do it as 1 saveset just
timeouts or crashes at 30+ hours and never finishes. We are currently using
checkpoints to do the daily INC then a weekly full to tape but can't seem to
get it in to a <23 hr window.
Oh and the obvious of breaking them into different file systems has been shot
down.
Thanks