Networker

[Networker] NDMP group, two large savesets, one device, ?time out

2010-06-10 21:43:24
Subject: [Networker] NDMP group, two large savesets, one device, ?time out
From: wallace88 <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2010 21:41:58 -0400
> If I set up an NDMP backup group with two large savesets, and I only have one
> NDMP tape device available, will the second saveset fail due to a time out
> while waiting for the first saveset to finish? A full backup normally takes
> 28 hours.

Because you only have one NDMP device, you should set either the client
parallelism, or the NDMP pool's max parallelism equal to 1.  This will ensure
that only one saveset is processed at a time.

For backups to NDMP devices, each device can only process one stream.
Multiplexing is not allowed.

If the savesets are processed one at a time, the save group will have 2
savesets in the work list, and process it one at a time.

Timeouts typically happen if NetWorker thinks that the client is not
responding.  That would not apply here, especially if you are performing full
backups.

Note:  for NDMP backups, if you are performing non fulls (i.e level 1-9), then
there could be inactivity at the filer level that would cause NetWorker to
timeout.  Because of this, set the save group's inactivity timeout to a higher
value than norm.  For example, set it to 120 mins.