Networker

Re: [Networker] How to trim the index directories

2010-06-04 14:28:07
Subject: Re: [Networker] How to trim the index directories
From: MIchael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2010 14:26:40 -0400
> > Why would newer savesets depend on the older, in this case? I realize
I'm
> > a little thickheaded and not feeling well today, but why would a full
from
> > 9 months ago depend on a full from 13 months ago?
>
> Fulls don't depend on other fulls.  It appears you're not familiar with
> what a quarterly full backup schedule entails.  Examine the "Quarterly"
> schedule that's built into NetWorker for one possible example of a
> quarterly full.
>
> > I could understand if it
> > were incrementals or differentials, but isn't each full "stand-alone",
so
> > to speak? Why would one full depend on an earlier full?
>
> They wouldn't.  A "quarterly full" means that one full backup is done
> approximately every 3 months.  For example purposes, let's say a full
> is done on January 1, 2010, and the next quarterly full is done on April
> 1, 2010.  The April 1 full does NOT depend on anything before it, but
> the *non-full* backups that are done on January 2 through March 31st
*do*
> depend on the January 1 2010 full.  If you purge that January 1 full
> backup, then you've invalidated all of the savesets that depend on it,
> so the January 2 - March 31 savesets will be purged the next time an
> index check (nsrim) is done.

Ah, now I am following. I was presupposing that a "Quarterly Full" meant
*only* a full backup every quarter (say for servers that don't have data
that changes very often), and no other backups in-between.

(I have servers like that; we only update the data on them every quarter,
for about 2 weeks, then don't touch them again for another 3 months or so)